How do I use this thing?
Keep your back to an unobstructed exit and stand six (6) to eight (8) feet away from the fire. Follow the four-step P.A.S.S. procedure.
* Pull the pin: This unlocks the operating lever and allows you to discharge the extinguisher. *See note below.
* Aim low: Point the extinguisher nozzle (or end of hose) at the base of the fire, not the flames!
* Squeeze the handle: This discharges the extinguishing agent. Releasing the handle will stop the discharge.
* Sweep from side to side: Moving carefully toward the fire, keep the extinguisher aimed at the base of the fire and sweep rapidly back and forth until the flames appear to be out. Watch the fire area. Prepare to get or call for another portable fire extinguisher if one is nearby. If the fire re-ignites, repeat the process.
* Never use a strong electricians-type plastic seal to secure a pull pin on the extinguisher. It is very important to be able to pull the pin out and in the state of Florida the use of "tamper indicators", which is what we in the business call the seal, is actually regulated to be no more than twelve pounds of pull to break.